Skip to main content

Dolce Far Niente: The Sweetness Of Doing Nothing



It is a beautiful day of Monsoon, and it's raining like cats and dogs. I sit inside my room near the window and glance outside every now and then. How harmonious the rain sounds with the sweet smell of soil. All I see is water dripping from rooftops making everything wet, and humans waiting for heavy rains to stop or at least slowdown. 

Rain changes the human world. It brings sweet calmness and brings stillness to a world of chaos. The mere presence of rain outside makes me feel like watching it for hours and doing nothing. What is so enchanting about it, I wonder! I see small kids playing outside their houses, jumping in potholes with raincoats on, but a desire to get wet in the water. 

Paper boats have become such a classic and old-school concept nowadays that I almost don't see them. But thank god for small cities and villages for passing down such silly traditions to the kids and for teaching them how to live life to the fullest. Allowing them to explore and feel each drop of rain falling from the sky into their palm with that big curve taking place on their face in the form of a big smile. 

I remember the days when I used to wait for the Monsoon to start with the intention of getting wet while coming back from school or dancing with friends under the cloudy grey sky with water pouring. There were times when mother used to scold us after getting drenched in the rain and quickly dry ourselves in order to avoid getting sick. Now, we worry about clothes not drying soon, jeans getting dirty rapidly, not reaching the office in a dry pair of shoes, and what not.  

I wait for the day to get over so I can shut the laptop and wrap up the office work that has become dreadful on a Friday afternoon. How can one resist witnessing such a precious miracle of nature? Hence, I finally gave up and ran into the kitchen to prepare a hot, steaming cup of coffee. I stand near the balcony door and sink in the sight of the cold climate. Stepping outside, I feel a cold breeze passing by, making me feel colder and motivating me to hold my coffee cup tighter with both my hands. 

While standing on the edge, I take a deep breath in and let it out with all the happiness in the world. "Oh! How perfect the climate is!" I exhale. A few drops of the rain try to show their gratitude by landing swiftly on my cheeks, making me feel better about my existence. How I miss smiling like this along with natural beauty, I question. The sip of coffee felt like heaven as nothing could match this combination of rain and alpha music on the side of my sweet coffee with my chain thoughts. 

A drop falls into my finished cup of coffee, making me realize life is fuller even when you think there is nothing left to offer. Suddenly the voice of raindrops takes over my thoughts, and I forget the world and enjoy the music of water. I stand there for as long as this natural phenomenon decides to communicate with me and make me lost. I feel complete and rejoice at the same time. The overwhelming feelings make me thank the superior power for my existence in this world of magic. 

I wonder how I missed enjoying the silliest, tiniest, simplest things in life that bring infinite delightful moments with no plans of taking anything in return. They say, "Love is in the air. Breath it!" I say, "Love is inside you. Live it!" Cheers to the countless numbers of blessings that come in everyone's life in different versions. Sunshine, the Sun's rays, the smell of flowers, the birds chirping, sunsets, and colorful skylines are some of the best examples of these blessings. 

Now, sitting on a recliner chair inside my room, I patiently pen this down for you to enjoy, my reader! Dolce Far Niente (The Sweet Idleness) is what they call it in Italian, and I call it The joy of enjoying the small things: The Sweet Nothings.    


On that note, I will leave you to enjoy the lovely weather with your dear and near ones as I get a sweet calling from my dear one with a kiss on my cheek and a warm hug. Oh, I missed Monsoon for these little things!


The Queen of Random Things

XOXO


   











 


Comments

  1. Well suited to this lovely climate. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Hit Your 'Age of Stagnation'?

Netflix includes one of the amazing American adult animated black comedy-drama television series, BoJack Horseman. It did earn the limelight when it was newly broadcasted. It's not everyone's cup of tea so don't just go ahead and watch it because it's heavy. Even though it is an animated series it presents hardcore real-life issues in an organized way.  While watching it I came across a term called 'Age of Stagnation'. It's a wonderful concept.  Kelsey Jannings, a character from the animated series explains it in simple words.  However, the one that I am talking about is not related to the economy but to humans. After that, I came across a beautiful blog on  Avoiding the Age of Stagnation  (I have attached a link if you want to give it a go!) and the writer has interestingly explained the point of view.     To my surprise, there are a couple of people in my life who have reached their age of stagnation because either their partners have accepted them for who

'Love in Comfort zone' isn't that our motto these days?

Don't get offended by the title!  Our generation and the coming generation have it easy and that's why love these days are in comfort zones. We choose a date by swiping right. We choose them by their pictures and the little information they decided to share. We have made it easy to get into a relationship and easier to get out of one thanks to social media, one-night stands, revenge sex and what not! I guess we are the generation who invented some of those things.  Unlike olden times, there is hardly any venture to know the real person behind the face and laughter, there is upfront sex without any intimacy or romance.    "I really wonder when did love change its meaning? ….. or we did? And so our generation has higher divorce rates because lesser people believe in fixing a relationship."  Everyone is aware that there are more fish in the pond and that’s the reason it has become a trend to leave the relationship once things get rocky. I am not sure if our generation is

Oh, please!!! For your sake, normalize breakfast dates!!!

No, I am not a morning person! I haven't read Robin Sharma's book, The 5 AM club, YET! I am not trying to sell an idea, nor I am trying to convince you to get up early. I just happened to like breakfast, it's the best meal of the day. On a normal day, I wouldn't miss breakfast for anything. I do enjoy quiet time during my first meal, but time to time, I do like to incorporate somebody for a chat or two. The idea of a breakfast date has always fascinated me. There is a breath of fresh air, new sun and a new hope of a new day. It's amazing how waking up early in the morning changes the course of your day.  At first, it might sound a lot of hard work, but there is nothing like spending quality time in the morning. My experience says, breakfast meetings bring no predominant effect, as everyone is in a fresh mood. In a normal scenario, no one would put an extra effort to pretend to be someone else - They just are themselves. You can dazzle up for dinner and add-on extra